Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 Supercross Season Opener | Anaheim 1

Photo: supercrossonline.com
"All life is an experiment; the more experiments you make, the better."

If you read my last post you know that I have finally revealed the experiment I've been working on all summer.  As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, the more experiments the better so this season of SX I will apply my scoring to my predictions.  Only time will tell how well this works out but it can't be much worse than last year.  With some of our favorite riders moving up to 450's and all the new names in the 250 class this season should keep the excitement going.

In the 450 class Villopoto is the clear favorite but the talent is stacked and it's not going to be easy.  I don't believe Dungey will have as good a year with all the new faces and if the Monster Energy Cup is any indication James Stewart could give Villopoto all he can handle.  Justin Barcia I predict will have a breakout year and I can see him making a run for the title.  Millsaps, Canard, Reed, Short, Alessi, Weimer and Grant are veterans of the class and all have their own challenges to overcome and one can't help but wonder if they, other than Weimer, have lost a step to steal a term from the NFL.  Tomac, Roczen and Hahn are all going to have great rides too and will make the road to the title so much harder for the rest of the field.  Personally I can't wait to see Ivan Tedesco back on the track, look for him to shake things up as well.

In the 250 class (West) I am anxious to see how Durham performs in round 1.  I felt he was a heavy favorite last year but injuries knocked him out of the race.  With Tomac, Roczen and Hahn moving up he'll be one of my favorites for the title.  Zack Osborne scored high on my list last year and he could be the spoiler in the class.  Seely, Anderson and Wilson should place high each week with the nod going to Wilson.  Other riders to keep an eye on are Jake Canada, Zack Bell, Cooper Webb and Jessy Nelson.  The rookies had outstanding campaigns last season in SX and MX and will certainly improve their values this year.  Durham has been out of action for awhile and his stamina may come into play but I still like his chances to pull off the upset.

"That's right folks.  I just had three shots of Hennigan's, and I don't smell.  Imagine, you can walk around drunk all day.  That's Hennigan's, the no-smell, no-tell Scotch."  Ok, in all seriousness, the top 10 is served.

450 SX (+/- Handicap)
1. STEWART, J (-1)
2. VILLOPOTO (+1)
3. BARCIA (+1)
4. TOMAC (-1)
5. ROCZEN (-1)
6. WEIMER (-1)
7. GRANT (+1)
8. SHORT (-1)
9. REED (+1)
10. BRAYTON (+1)

250 SX (+/- Handicap)
1. DURHAM (-1)
2. SEELY (-1)
3. WILSON (+1)
4. OSBORNE (+1)
5. ANDERSON (-1)
6. WEBB (+1)
7. STEWART, M (+1)
8. NELSON (+1)
9. BELL (-1)
10. HILL, JUSTIN (+1)

George Patton once said "battle is an orgy of disorder."  Get ready SX fans, the 2014 season gets underway this weekend as the battle comes to Anaheim...

The Roost'r

No comments:

Post a Comment