Thursday, May 23, 2013

2013 Motocross | Thunder Valley Predictions

Photo: allisports.com
This week AMA Motocross comes to Colorado, home state of yours truly.  Festivities begin Friday and I'd love to take the day off; anyone have any great excuses?

Once again I'm not a big fan of play by play analysis of prior events, you can get that anywhere but I do have some opinions about last week.  Villopoto is the favorite no question so I'll move on.  James Stewart will come alive as the season rolls on, you can count on it.  Ryan Dungey will have his share of podiums but I can't see him taking the top spot, especially once the Honda boys, Barcia and Canard, really heat up.  I have to believe Alessi will find his pace, not this week but watch him after round 3.  Weimer and Wilson will have a better race this week and Reed should make the top 10.  Andrew Short has always ridden well in front of a friendly crowd, look for him to place in the top 5.

In the 250 class, Roczen looked great and should continue his mistake free riding this week.  Eli Tomac will have the home crowd behind him and will certainly ride hard.  Baggett will be tough to beat this week despite all the drama around his wrist.  Marvin Musquin is the underdog and just might pull an upset.  The rookies looked great and fitness didn't seem to be a big issue although the high altitude will be the great equalizer for these guys.  I like Cunningham and Jason Anderson to put in strong rides and Durham should break the top 10.  Finally, how about Cooper Webb?  This young man will only get better, reminds me a lot of Eli Tomac in his rookie year.

My record?  I'd like to invoke my 5th amendment right.  For now I'll continue to limit my handicap to 1 position and I'd like to try something new this week.  Since the 250 class always has so many rookies, I'd like to pick the top rookie of the week, a powerball of motocross if you will.  The high altitude will challenge the riders and their machines and they will all have to make some adjustments.  This could mix things up a bit.  Ok, enough anecdotes, here are this weeks picks.

450 Class

1. Ryan Villopoto (- 1)
2. James Stewart (+ 1)
3. Justin Barcia (- 1)
4. Ryan Dungey (+ 1)
5. Andrew Short (- 1)
6. Trey Canard (+ 1)
7. Mike Alessi (- 1)
8. Chad Reed (+ 1)
9. Dean Wilson (- 1)
10. Jake Weimer (+ 1)

250 Class - Top Rookie (Cooper Webb)

1. Eli Tomac (- 1)
2. Blake Baggett (+ 1)
3. Marvin Musquin (- 1)
4. Ken Roczen (+ 1)
5. Jason Anderson (- 1)
6. Kyle Cunningham (- 1)
7. Zach Osborne (+ 1)
8. Cooper Webb (- 1)
9. Darryn Durham (+ 1)
10. Jeremy Martin (- 1)

I get to attend the event this week; with an all-day pit pass and my Nikon SLR, I should have my own pics, up close and personal, I can't wait.  Thanks for checking in; Thunder Valley here they come!

The Roost'r


No comments:

Post a Comment