Wednesday, May 15, 2013

2013 Supercross | Wrap Up

Photo: supercrossonline.com
Ryan Villopoto would not allow the 250 class to steal the show so he went out there and dominated like a champion should.  I had predicted that he would take it easy, let the other guys have their day and start preparing for outdoors but boy was I wrong.  He left Vegas with his 10th win and no one could stop him.  Great job RV, I can't wait to see you on the long track.

Photo: amasupercross.com
The race for second always seems to fade into the background but there was no doubt 2nd overall meant something to Davi Millsaps and Ryan Dungey.  Davi rode hard but less than 100% was not going to be enough to beat the number 5 KTM rider in Vegas.  Davi owes a bit of gratitude to Villopoto for helping keep Ryan Dungey in check all season.  Davi had a fantastic season despite some injuries along the way, no one gave him a chance, present company included  Ryan Dungey had a phenomenal second half of the season and came as close as anyone can to stealing 2nd overall.

Photo: amasupercross.com
As for the 250 classes, words can't express the level of anticipation I was feeling.  I was somewhat disappointed however with the schedule and the elimination of the heat races.  As a fan I'm used to a warm up and it just didn't seem to flow well, felt like a pop quiz right after lunch.  The racing on the other hand was spectacular.  Watching Eli Tomac make his way up front was amazing, what a valiant effort, even though he came up short.  The East was just as exciting with Musquin doing the same.  I had predicted a KTM sweep but Tyler Bowers had other plans.  He was the ultimate spoiler and I suppose you could say the same for Davalos losing a spot in the West final.  These two races have got to be two of the best races in recent history, instant classics.

Photo: amasupercross.com
The shootout was anticlimactic I thought.  Certainly on its own it was a race for the ages but with such intense racing prior it didn't seem to maintain that same intensity.  Ken Roczen did an amazing job at redemption, the team has to be pleased although I'm sure they would have preferred it was wrapped up in Salt Lake City.  Will Hahn rode a very strategic race and in fact was very calculating all season.  He knew exactly what he had to do to keep himself in the hunt and he never wavered.  Blake Wharton also had a great year and team Rockstar Suzuki has to be pretty happy.  Eli Tomac gave it all he had in the final race and perhaps just didn't have enough in the tank for the shootout.  He was easily the favorite coming into this season.  It just goes to show how unpredictable Supercross can be.  Certainly Tomac must have felt like getting this evening over with and who can blame him.

KTM obviously was the team to beat this year with each rider placing in the top 3 in every class.  Geico Honda kept it close all the way to the end.  These two teams have clawed their way to become two of the premier teams in the series but you have to think that the Kawasaki and Suzuki teams will not rest. 

So how did I do with my predictions this year?  I have no point of reference but I'd have to say there is room for improvement.  I learned early on that calling the top 10 is almost impossible without a handicap but what a challenge.  Patterns emerged and for a guy who's nuts about statistical modeling, I have my homework cut out for me.

So what's next?  I'd like to continue through motocross although I may take a different approach.  With 40 riders and the absence of heat races it doesn't make sense to keep the same format.  Whatever I come up with it will have to take into account what I learned from Supercross; I'll keep you posted.  One definite highlight will be when the series comes through town, I can't wait!

So the curtain falls on the 2013 Supercross season.  I had a blast and many good things will come from this little experiment.  I've created statistical models and matrices that I can work with in the off season and with some back testing I should be more prepared for next year.  In the mean time, for all us purists, next is what we wait for all year; the outdoors.

Ciao for now - The Roost'r

No comments:

Post a Comment