Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 Supercross | Anaheim 1 | 250SX Results

I mentioned in my previous post that the information I used to make my top 10 picks for the 250 class was inaccurate; a rookie mistake I won't soon repeat.   I knew this could be a possibility, I just didn't set aside enough time to thoroughly research the starting lineup; I have enough information from this race to at least come up with a top 10.  I understand the 250 class is now referred to as the 250SX class so that's the term I'll use going forward.

I'm really disappointed that I wasn't able to evaluate the lineup correctly because the 250 class is by far a greater challenge to predict.  I was however pleased to see my favorite 250SX rider in the lineup but you can trust my picks will always remain objective.  Since I won't be able to analyze my picks as posted previously I'll just run down the main event results for this first round of the 2013 Supercross season.

250 SUPERCROSS CLASS

1. Eli Tomac - Eli would have been my choice for the top spot this week.  He continues to dominate in this class and he's riding with a great deal of confidence.  He will be tough to beat this year and the rest of the field will have to step up huge and early or Eli will quickly run away with the points.

2. Ken Roczen - Roczen is probably Eli's greatest competition.  He's shown he can keep pace and he's also consistent enough to keep it close but any mistake will certainly derail his chances as long as Tomac is in the lineup.

3. Cole Seely - I actually picked Seeley to place 3rd, which by the way was the only pick I got right.  Cole is in a great position and I think he will be challenging Roczen all season, which should give Tomac a bigger advantage.

4. Jason Anderson - Jason has shown some flashes of brilliance but he hasn't been very consistent.  He's part of a great team and his teammates just might be helping him improve his lap times.  It's too early to tell but a 4th place finish is a great start.

5. Malcolm Stewart - I predicted Malcolm would place 10th; not sure I would have placed him there had I been working with accurate information.  Malcolm had a difficult time last year but I think if he can ride within his abilities and not push the envelope so much, he should be able to place in the top 5 consistently this year.

6. Ryan Sipes - Ryan has been terribly inconsistent however he did show he can win a race at this level.  Now on the Rockstar Suzuki, he's got a great bike and some fast teammates to help him along.  I think Ryan will find his pace and he just may be able to run in the top 10 with some consistency.

7. Zach Osborne - Zach has been battling injuries but the Geico Honda team seems to believe he has what it takes to make a move in the class.  A top 10 finish should boost his confidence but he has some competition right on his heels.

8. Tyla Rattray - I picked Rattray to place 5th, and that was me looking at a tougher lineup than this one.  He's been on the Kawasaki for a while now and I would have predicted him a bit higher in this lineup.  This 8th place gives me pause so I'll have to reexamine his potential before my Phoenix picks.

9. Max Anstie - I would have never predicted Anstie to finish in the top 10.  At one time some felt he would be a force when he decided to give the US series a shot.  I think he's finding it much more difficult than he had imagined.  I don't believe we'll see him often in the top 10 but I think he's worth keeping an eye on.

10. Michael Leib - Leib is another one of those riders who will struggle for a top 10 finish all season long.  He can run with these guys but he'll have to find another gear if he expects to remain competitive.

RIDER NOTES

Blake Baggett - Baggett has struggled a bit on the Supercross track.  I was surprised with his 14th place finish, I believe he has enough speed to run in the top 5 but a 14th place finish does not inspire confidence.  I'm certainly not counting him out but he'll have to perform better next week or he will fall too far behind in points.

Jake Canada, Kyle Cunningham, Christian Craig - I think these guys will have a much better day next week.  All three had great showings at the 2012 Monster Energy Cup and in this lineup they have a chance to make the top 10 consistently.

Jessy Nelson - I have a feeling we may hear a lot more from Jessy Nelson.  I don't have much to go on but I can see what the Troy Lee team sees in him.  Should be interesting to see how he does in Phoenix.  I'm still not ready to pick him for the top 10 but I think he has a better chance than most.

It's Monday night so I'll have to get cracking if I'm to have my picks ready by Saturday.  Supercross season makes my winter so much more bearable-snow is covering all our trails up here in Colorado so my dirt bike and mountain bikes get little use.  Look for my Phoenix picks later in the week; round 2 is right around the corner.

AR



No comments:

Post a Comment